Eating and drinking well means to look after and fuel your body with delicious, nutritious food and ensuring you have plenty of variety in your diet. Variety is important to get all the nutrients you require to maintain a healthy weight.
When you eat and drink well, you will notice that you have more energy (to use for increasing your movement!), improved mood and sleep.
As well as your diet positively impacting your overall quality of life, it is also an important factor to your physical health. A balanced diet can help to prevent conditions such as obesity, heart disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer.
We know that eating and drinking well can sometimes be difficult, so we’ve listed some of our tips that will make fuelling your body just that little bit easier.
- Follow the Eatwell guides found here. The Eatwell guide is a useful tool that shows the amount of each food group we should eat to achieve a healthy and balanced diet.
- Aim for 6-8 glasses of fluid a day (just under 2 litres). Luckily for us, this doesn’t just mean we’re only limited to drinking water! Diluting juice, milk, soups, tea and coffee (just be mindful how much caffeine you’re consuming) all count towards this recommended amount.
- Make smart food swaps that boost your favourite food’s nutritional value without sacrificing on taste. For example, if you’re partial to a takeaway pizza, try making your own pizza ‘wraps’ which you can make by using plain tortilla wraps, tomato sauce, cheese and top with your favourite toppings. Skimping on cost, but never flavour!
- Make preparing, cooking, eating and drinking easy. Make sure any cups, plates and cutlery are easy to use. Kettle tippers, plastic cups and two handled mags are all equipment that can help make eating and drinking as seamless as possible. For more kitchen aids, click here.
- Test out different recipes. One of the main aspects of eating well is to enjoy the food you’re eating. There are plenty of delicious, healthy and low-cost recipes you can try available on our website here.
- Gain nutritional knowledge to help you to eat well and stay healthy with Healthy You’s FREE Adult Weight Management service. The service is as 12-week virtual or face-to-face programme with 45-minute Nutrition Workshops and 45-minute Physical Activity sessions (tailored to your activity level) that is ran by our brilliant registered Nutritionists and trained Physical Activity Specialists.
To find out more about our Adult Weight Management service or to sign-up, please contact 0333 005 0093 or complete the sign-up form here.