Healthy You Tier 3 weight management service is a specialist service for patients with severe and complex obesity, providing an intensive level of support to patients through a multi-disciplinary team (MDT) approach.
It is a service for obese individuals who have not responded to previous interventions and patients are supported by a multi-disciplinary team of specialists including a physician, consultant or GP with Special Interest in obesity ; a specialist dietitian; psychologist and physical activity specialist.
Healthy You provide three different specialist Tier 3 weight management services. Each programme offers weight management and behaviour change support delivered by a multidisciplinary team and last for 18 months.
How I join the service?
You need to be referred by a health care professional, like a GP.
What happens next?
Once referred you will be contacted for screening, the current waiting list for screening is 2 months.
What are the services?
Our psychologically informed programme covers topics such as mindful eating and self-care but also provides practical support on increasing physical activity, a balanced diet and food labelling.
We’ll help you better understand your relationship with food and provide you with the knowledge and support you need.
Weekly sessions last for 90 minutes and focus on topics such as:
- Mindful eating
- Self-care and stress management
- Emotional and social eating
- Understanding food labels
- Introducing physical activity
Our experienced team is made up of nutritionists, psychologists and sport and exercise specialists. You’ll have a dedicated weight management practitioner for your whole journey with us.
The support doesn’t end stop there. After you complete our 12-week programme, we offer continued support for 12-months and beyond. Our experienced team offers regular catch-ups and check-ins to ensure clients are supported on their journey.
For more information, visit the Morelife website here.
Fresh Start Programme
Our new Tier 3 Fresh Start programme offers 12 fortnightly sessions consisting of nutrition workshops and physical activity sessions. Patients will be supported by a multidisciplinary team (MDT) that includes a GP with a special interest in obesity, an Obesity Specialist Nurse, Specialist Dietitian, Nutritionists, Health Psychologist, and Physical Activity Specialists.
- Patients will have the option to join a virtual or face-to-face programme.
- In addition to the 6-month programme, 1:1 support will be available from a Health Psychologist who will support patients to make healthy lifestyle changes, and to identify and overcome barriers.
- Medical management and Dietetic advice will also be available for those that require it.
- Monthly drop-in group support sessions will also be available to all patients for up to 12 months post completion of the 6-month programme, to support weight loss maintenance and assist in achieving further weight loss.
The programme is designed to help participants to:
- achieve a clinically significant weight loss of at least 5%-10%
- adopt a healthier and sustained approach to weight loss whilst increasing enjoyment of food
This will also assist in:
- improving mental health and general well-being
- reducing blood glucose levels
- increasing activity levels
- reducing risk of obesity-related health complications
- helping build healthy habits, achieving personal goals, and leading a healthier and happier lifestyle
All patients referred to the Fresh Start Programme are booked on a clinical MDT assessment prior to any treatment beginning which is designed to help gain a thorough understanding of the patient’s current lifestyle, health & any difficulties caused by their weight.
Addenbrookes Intensive Weight Management Programme (IWMP)
Addenbrooke’s Obesity Service has been established since 2000 and provides a comprehensive Multi-Disciplinary Assessment. Patients may be offered the consultant-led medical management clinic, individualised psychological intervention, a monthly psychological skills and support group, a psychologist led emotional eating group, or the intensive weight management programme (IWMP).
Who can we help
We accept referrals for patients who:
- have engaged with a tier-2 weight loss intervention within the two years prior to referral to tier-3 but has not been able to achieve/maintain weight loss and are
- Aged 18 or over and
- have a BMI 30 Kg/m2 with complex needs and has not responded to previous tier interventions or
- Or have a BMI 35 Kg/m2 with co-morbidities (e.g. type 2 diabetes) or
- have a BMI 40 Kg/m2
Note: 2.5kg lower BMI figures for anyone from the Asian community.
We do not accept referrals for patients who:
- Have active binge eating disorder or bulimia nervosa
- Have active psychosis or a significant mental health disorder that would prevent engagement with the service
- Have an active Substance Abuse Disorder (SUD) including Alcohol
- Patients who have undergone previous Bariatric Surgery
Please note: There is currently a waiting list of 12-18 months for Tier 3 weight management services but patients are offered support from one of our Tier 2 services whilst waiting.
For more information, please contact us here.